Sunday, March 9, 2008

FL - the last time?

So I just returned from FL with my best buddy Kara. As soon as the plane touched down, everything was the same. The smell of salt water mixed with orange blossoms, the trailer, fishing for Ol' Blue and catching turtles instead, being with my grandparents, Howard Park Beach. Leaving this year was so sad - I wondered if I would ever return. FL is the one place that remains unchanged since childhood. But now, my grandparents are getting older and my grandpa's alheizheimers is worse. He doesn't even remember where he is and he especially doesn't remember all the good times in FL. My grandma is stressed - and things are changing. Yet, this year was not too unlike any other year.... the beach. my grandma's strawberry shortcake, fresh squeezed juice ever morning, all the hilarious times with my grandparents. As my car pulled out of the dirt driveway- on my way to the airport, I took a long look backward and made a mental picture of everything about this place- including my grandparents. i doubt they will return to this special place next year. each year is worse for my grandpa. i memorized every detail- praying to God that I will return next year- and things will remain the same---- even though I know they can't possibly be the same any longer.

FL to me will always be a happy place- not because of the sun and sand- although that is part of it- but because of good times i've had with family and lots of good friends. It has not just been my place- but a place to so many of my friends along the way.... and THAT is what I will always cherish.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Toner, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://toner-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.