Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Seasons

Yesterday was Labor Day. It was 85 degrees, sunny and my sister and I were helping my Dad close the pool. Closing the pool is worse than taking down the Christmas tree after the holidays. It marks a time when summer is officially over. 1 day, we are swimming and splashing around feeling the sun on our faces, watching the blue water sparkle and bounce- playing water volleyball ---- the next, I stare out at a depressing dark green winter pool cover. It is finished. Walks on the pier in Ludington- swimming in Lake Michigan - wearing shorts and flip flops- Sunday dinners of potato salad, hamburgers on the grill, fresh strawberry shortcake with sun tea. All of it is done- at least for this season. I love summer- it is my favorite time of year. To think of summer being done, brings a minor pang in my heart.

And yet, I awoke this morning- and put on a plaid, fallish looking skirt-- a dark top- and even snuck on a pair of sandals still. And I could not help but think that soon, the air will be crisp. I will see leaves start to change into brilliant fall colors - and as I run outside- I won't be hot anymore and will feel the crunch of the leaves beneath my feet. I will smell the smoke of bon fires. Robinettes will be abuzz with customers buying their famous apple cider. I can't wait to eat donuts, bake apple pie, see my nieces and nephew dressed up for Haloween. Yes, there is something special about Fall. And that is what I love about Michigan- the changes of seasons- one ends just as another begins- just like life.

God promises changes in our lives. Ecclesiasties 3 says, "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven." Each phase of life is met with newness- challenges, joy, and depening on the season- heartbreak. God brings beauty in the ashes- joy in the mourning - and promises LIFE. So no matter what season you are in- know there is another one- filled with emotions and memories all its own, just around the bend.

No comments: