Monday, August 20, 2007

Music for eternity

This past Saturday, my Grandma invited me on a bus tour trip along with all her senior citizen friends. Before my Grandpa passed away, the 2 of them went on many of such tours. Ironically, my husband has been dying to go on a bus tour, which I have responded with a firm and passionate, "NO!!" "Those bus tours are full of old people," I recounted.

Bright and early Saturday morning, we set off for a day trip to Shipshewana. Having never been on a bus tour or Shipshewana, I had no idea what to expect. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. I saw a sea of white heads, everywhere I looked. Each person was warm and welcoming. "What do you do, dear?" "How long have you been married?" My 1 1/2 years paled in comparison to 55 years, 57 years, even 60+ years.

We ate a wonderful amish meal, shopped in all the quaint stores and the highlight- hearing my all time favorite pianist in person - Dino Kartsonakis. I have all of his piano books and have played many of his pieces at my church. To see him in person was a real treat. In fact, almost every song he played- my eyes welled up with tears. He was marvelous- and the pieces he played were entirely worshipful, giving glory to God. I surveyed the audience of white heads and as the hymn 'How Great Thou Art' (my favorite hymn ever) was played- I heard soft humming coming from the crowd. This was a little slice of heaven. I couldn't wait to be in glory someday, with all these dear saints - singing praises to God. Dino's hands flew over the keys, creating a great rippling effect. I could hardly keep my eyes focused- his fingers moved that fast! Wow, it truly took my breath away.

I couldn't believe I was here - in that moment, listening to Dino- being with my Grandma, worshipping God in this fashion. It was incredible. Then, the unthinkable happened. There was a drawing at the close of a concert to win a free CD by Dino. My name was drawn!! I jumped up- Dino asked me to come down. I told him how I have all of his piano books- how I played a lot of his songs at my church. He gave me a big hug and asked me to perform a duet with him. The song he mentioned was 1 I knew well. In fact, it was the 1st piece I ever learned by him- My Tribute. I chickened out. Playing with such an icon was entirely intimidating to me at that moment. Looking back, I wish I would have done it. I wish I would have risked the embarrassment of maybe messing up - getting a wrong note- for the chance to play with such a legend.

Yet, I left there a better person. The words of 'My Tribute' flooded my heart and mind.

"How can I say thanks for the things You have done for me? Things so undeserved, yet You gave to prove Your love for me; the voices of a million angels could not express my gratitude. All that I am and ever hope to be, I owe it all to Thee."

God blessed me that day in a million little ways..... my Grandma, all her old friends, the worship music, and getting to meet someone who I have admired from afar for many years now. They say music opens the window to the soul- and I have to agree. For that special day, created music in me that will last for eternity. To God be the glory- great things he has done!

No comments: