Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Goodbye to my best friend

My heart is sad today. Yesterday my bestest buddy in the whole world, Kara, left for Nepal. She has been back in the states for 10 months. 10 months of reconnecting. 10 months of laughing, crying- and yes, our 1st fight even. 10 months of memories. One memory- about a week ago, we had 75 degree weather in April. Kara and I were in the mood for ice cream (a common theme, I must add). We decided to try a new place - and it was very disappointing. The guy scopping didn't know how to scoop. He handed Kara her cone and joked saying the icecream had mickey ears. haha- NOT. It was dripping everywhere. We both bought a double and it looked like a puny kid cone. Never mess with us and our ice cream. So, we embarked on a quest for more ice cream. We went to the Bumblebee, just as it was closing (at 2 in the afternoon!). We made a side trip to see our friend Terry, and just laughed and played games. Then, we went to Dairy Queen. We finally got our flurries and walked around the west side, by the zoo... just talking about nothing and everything. The day was unseasonably warm and sunny. This is how it is with Kara. We have fun doing nothing - and everything.

Kara is one of the most compassionate people I know. She is real. She does not shy away from talking about real stuff- even if it's hard. She has had a hard year but through it all, she has persevered. Yet, through it all, she can laugh and that in turn, makes me laugh. She's always up for an adventure. She's my partner in crime--- always loving a good prank. We threw a Hawaiin Lua this past summer and invited about 40 people. Beach music, grilling, the limbo (ok, there wasn't the limbo- corrected, or Kara would correct that, TRUST ME). The lua was great! We went to Florida together (again).... and of course, had ice cream just about every night. We laugh at the same things- and cry together. She loves hanging out with my husband and I. And my hubby loves her just as much as I do. Kara is passionate about her Savior. And Kara is passionate about Nepal. She is probably arriving there right about now as I write.

I am so glad that she is going back. But right now, I would like just one more trip to Cheshire with her. I would like to go fishing for Ol' Blue and try to catch more fish than her, just one more time. I would like to eat CiCis pizza and go go carting. I want to have one more conversation where we spill our guts to each other--- just one more before she is back there. Kara is like family to me--- in fact, not like--- she IS family to me. And as her Dad has told her- I will put one foot in front of the other--- and hopefully miss her a little less each day. Miss her less- hopefully, but always have her in my heart and prayers- until we see each other again.



PS- most of my blogs are sad... just realizing. I guess it is because i usually right when I am sad and full of emotion. :)

1 comment:

Kara said...

thanks for your words, taryn. i feel the same way....so thankful for you and our friendship. miss you and love you!