Monday, July 9, 2007

Why do I love Ludington? It is a small town with the most beautiful pristine beaches anywhere. It is the town partially responsible for my husband and I falling in love.

We had just started "hanging out" and I had bought tickets for the "Newsboys" concert. It was the day before the concert when Rick received the call that his Grandpa was not doing well. I did not know him that well then. With the concert dissolved, we drove up to Ludington. Rick and I walked the shore, hand in hand as he spoke of his childhood. The sun sparkled on the waves as we made our way out to the pier. He pointed out the spot where him and his Grandma went fishing. I heard about the cane pole she used and how after fishing, they would pick up his Grandpa's check and get Kentucky Fried Chicken for everyone. He pointed out 'Johnny's' of Custer- a roller rink where he went skating. We drove by hayfields where he worked as a kid to- yep, you guessed it- earn money for rollerskating! Along the drive, he showed me the trailer he lived in with his mom and brother. Little pieces of this man came together like a puzzle.

I was honored to meet his Aunt and Grandpa. And more honored that he would introduce me into his world. Many more trips to Ludington came and went. Many more talks; both funny and serious. Worries seemed to disappear in this town and special memories were made. We were married 2 years later and of course- the honeymoon ended up being in Ludington!

This town is also the place we drove back up to during Rick's grandpa's last moments on earth. We were still just dating. And I watched my sweetheart approach his Grandpa's bed in the nursing home. I stood in the doorway and watched as he pushed the hair back from his Grandpa's eyes; rubbed his head and soothingly talked to him. I heard Rick praying, while clutching his Grandpa's hand, telling him it is ok and saying goodbye. Tears were in my eyes. I sat in the meeting while Rick supported his Aunt, as hospice talked to the 2 of them. In the saddest of moments, love welled in my heart for Rick. And Ludington was part of that.

A few weekends ago- we drove up to Ludington. Each trip is unique in its own way. We walked hand in hand throughout an art fare. We stopped at the local bakery, owned by the same family since 1904. We talked to the girl at the front desk of the Best Western- she was from Custer and Rick and her spent some time talking over past people in the town. And the evening ended at Stearns Park, watching a beautiful sunset dip below the water.

I don't know what it is about Ludington. Something calm and sweet and breathless takes place once we drive into this town. And I know many future memories will take place there. After all- it is the town that love built.... at least for the 2 of us.

No comments: